Monday, 16 April 2012

DIY : Tie Dye & Bleach Spray Looks


Hey guys! So recently I’ve had a real urge to tie dye some plain white tees but I haven’t had the time to go and buy fabric dye and the rest of it due to revision so I’d been putting it off. I was browsing through some blogs the other day and I came across the blog Funfairs and Triangles and I was instantly inspired by her DIY’s. Her style is amazing and you guys should really check her out because she has some great posts! Anyway, she has a couple of posts where she bleaches her tops and jumpers and it looks super cool! I really liked the effect it gave so I decided to try it out myself! (Technique 1) I do really like the result but I turned the top inside out a minute ago and I’m not going to lie, I think I prefer it inside out! The bleach effect is a little more subtle and gradual which I really like. So once it’s dry, I’m going to cut the neckline and the bottom of the top to get rid of the labels so that I can make out it’s a ‘reversible top’. Depending on how bold I’m feeling, I can either wear it with the louder print or the more subtle print on show.  Versatility right there ha!  
So after experimenting with the first technique, I decided that I would use the bleach and try to do a tie-dye effect on some tops and once again, I am happy with the outcome (Technique 2). I’m so excited about these pieces and the thing that gets me excited is that each print is an individual! Even if you use the same technique, the outcome is always slightly different which gives your clothes a sense of individuality.
I’ve blogged the whole process below based on how I did it, if the instructions aren’t clear enough, let me know!


TECHNIQUE 1


Technique 1 Instructions
You will need:
Item of clothing
Bleach
Empty spray container
1.       Place your item of clothing in the bath.
2.       Carefully pour some bleach into an empty spray container.
3.       Spray the bleach over your top and you the amount you spray depends on how intense you want the look to be.
4.       Leave it to stand for 30 minutes or less depending on the levels of contrast you want to achieve. Since I did this on a black top, the effects were instant and I could see the colour being drained out within a few minutes.
5.       Rinse your top making sure you get rid of as much bleach as you can.
6.     Wash your top as normal, let it dry, iron it and there you go!
I absolutely love the ‘space’ trend which I have seen around lately and I think this is a more affordable way of interpreting it. Like I said before, I got this technique from Funfairs and Triangles  so if I haven’t explained myself properly, you can check out her DIY tutorial on it.

TECHNIQUE 2

Technique 2 Instructions
You will need:
Item of clothing
Bleach
Rubber bands

1.       Place your item of clothing in the bath.
2.       Using your fingers, pinch the middle of the top and turn your hand in a clockwise direction. Continue to do this until the whole of your top is spiralled up within itself.
3.       Take a rubber band and place it around your top to keep it secure.
4.       Take your bleach and carefully pour/drizzle it over ¼ of your top
5.       Leave it to stand for 30 minutes.
6.       After 30 minutes, unravel your top and rinse it.
7.       Wash your top as normal, let it dry, iron it and you are done!
I used this technique on two different tops and I am very happy with the result of them both! I love the effect this technique gives because it’s not too overwhelming but it still gives your top that cool hippie look. I am definitely going to wear this top to death during spring/summer!



I hope you guys like this post and if anyone tries out any of the techniques I'd love to know how you got on!

Have a great week!

Lots of Love
xoxo

14 comments:

  1. I loveeee these! they seem really easy and can't wait to try them!
    your blog's amazing, new reader xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea its so simple to do! Aw thank you so much! xo

      Delete
  2. Cool idea. I'm gonna try that now. Great post! Can't believe I just stumbled upon your blog. Keep up the good work.

    Hope you can follow back at www.sketchbo.com!

    Your newest follower,
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea do and let me know how it works out for you :-)
      Thank you for following & ofcourse I will check out your blog! xo

      Delete
  3. Girl! Im lovin this DUI! Nice!

    xo

    lalageorgia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool DIY dear, I'm going to try this with some old t-shirt! It's perfect for a rebel look ;) ! Btw tnx you for your sweet comment :) !

    Much Love from ThePeppyMay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I loved the results! Such a great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This came out amazing!!
    My next diy project! lol
    <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the middle one, the purple colours are lovely!
    could you take a look at the tops we tie dyed ourselves and tell us what you think? here: http://coveclothing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/tie-dye.html
    :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) sure I will, I love seeing other peoples DIY's! xoxo

      Delete