Tuesday, 14 October 2014

- Malaysia Photo Diary #2 -


Here’s the second part of my Malaysia photo diary! These photos show my main highlights from the second week.

Whilst we were in Malaysia we were lucky enough to have the Malaysian homestay experience. For those of you who don’t know what a homestay is, it is basically when you go to a rural town and live with a native family from the country you are in.
We did this for 3 days, 2 nights and it was a real experience! The family I lived with were actually fairly well off and I was fortunate enough to actually have a bed (trust me, this was a big deal). The weekend was quite challenging; more for people who had been put with families who were a lot less fortunate than my own but I think it really opened everyone’s eyes to a lot of things.
For me, the homestay weekend really made me reflect on the things that I value vs. the things I should value in life. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in the little things and forget to appreciate those that really matter. During this weekend I really didn’t care about what I was wearing, whether or not I had make-up on or how good the Wi-Fi was; (although I’m not going to lie, we were very happy when we discovered it). These stupid little things which we make such a big deal of when we are at home suddenly really didn’t matter at all. Instead, we were able to really enjoy the time we had together.
There is one particular day which I’ll never forget. We’d spent the morning fishing, some people went catfish catching and others had jumped into a mucky looking pond. You can imagine how filthy we all were by the afternoon. We spent the rest of the day lazing around and just chatting. Despite how disgusting we all felt, we were all able to just enjoy each other’s company and although it wasn’t the most exciting day, it was perfect. I feel this was the weekend when we all bonded together as a group.
I’m so grateful to have been able to do the homestay experience and if you ever get the opportunity, I would 100% recommend doing it! It will definitely not be the most glamorous experience of your life but it will be an experience you’ll remember forever.

After the homestay weekend, we went back to the residences we were staying at and carried on with the rest of our trip. Over the next few days we got to visit different religious places of interest within KL, we got the opportunity to talk to people within the Malaysian government which was very interesting and we also got to do another day of volunteering.
 On this day we went to a primary school in another rural village and with the organisation ‘my reading bus’ and our job was to spend the day teaching the Malaysian children how to read and write. We performed Pinocchio for them which they seemed to love and then they gave us a walking tour of their town. It was so refreshing to see children so excited. The citizens of the town were all so friendly they even put on a mini festival for us with dancing dragons then the kids taught us how to play the drums. Despite the ridiculously hot weather, I loved this day.

Writing this post is making me feel so nostalgic and although I will never be able to relive these moments with the amazing people I had the pleasure of meeting; I am SO thankful I was able to have these experiences and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.
I’m going to end the post here before I start getting all emosh but there is 1 more travel diary coming up so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Side-note: a lot of these photos were taken on my phone hence why the quality may not be top notch! Hope you don't mind too much though! :)

Kudzai
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Malaysia seems like a beautiful country to me, with such a rich culture! I'd love to visit it someday.
    xx
    www.demivandeliefvoort.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos!! Makes me want to travel!

    StylizedLuxe
    Instagram

    xo Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow looks like you had an amazing holiday, beautiful and exotic!! x

    http://lifeofacameo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures transported me to Malaysia for a little while! I'm so happy you had such a fun, positive experience!

    Thy Bliss Calls

    ReplyDelete